(Bihar Times)The new government needs to have an R & D cell. India’s research and development is possibly the worst in the world. We employ tired and imaginationless bureaucrats to solve problems using technology that is completely outdated. We refuse to encourage or pay for inventions that are made by villagers to solve local problems. We have a sleepy patent office that is so complicated that no one approaches it. Our ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research) writes a few papers on some new way of doing things and then buries the papers in its own offices.
National Innovation Foundation run by Professor Anil Gupta (of IIM, Ahmedabad) looks for new inventions all the time and gets the innovators rewarded with prizes and patents.
I spoke to him during the election. I am desperately looking for new ways in which I can make the villagers of my constituency earn money while in their villages. The time has passed for me to look for new factories – Uttar Pradesh has neither the political will, the electricity or the infrastructure to attract investors. So I want to use the agriculture base of my area to invent new things.
I asked Prof Gupta to invent me machines that could be spread from village to village that did something with cow dung. True to form, he took a month to come up with three machines:
1. A machine that turns cowdung into large and firm logs that can be used at cremation grounds. These will replace wood since we are now rapidly running out of forests. One dead body uses 600 kg of wood (usually mango wood) and we simply cannot afford that any more. Poachers come at night to the mango orchards and cut down fruit trees for burning the trunks. This is the worst crime I can think of. I am now taking the machine to my area to see whether we can get the women to use it and make money. It will save wood, make money and even better, stop cows and buffaloes from being sold to butchers after they stop giving milk.
2. A machine that turns cowdung into flowerpots. The forest department uses plastic to put seedlings in. All state forest nurseries are full of discarded plastic. These flowerpots are cheaper and amazing because they act as self fertilizers. If we can get the forest departments to buy these instead at the same price, we can have healthier plants and biodegradable pots.
3. A machine that makes bricks out of cowdung mixed with bhoosa- the residue of wheat which is normally burnt by farmers causing tremendous amounts of heat and pollution. If the inventor can stabilise the bricks, we could make village houses out of them – imagine every poor person in a village being able to make their own house instead of being dependent on the mercy of the pradhan to give them pukka houses under some government scheme.
I have added another idea which I am taking forward: the making of organic mosquito repellents from gobar. A small group has already invented the basic unit. All I need to do is refine the idea and Professor Gupta is working on that.
The most wonderful thing about him is that he is excited by all things new and goes actively out to look for them. He has 600+ patents and many of the makers who were really poor people with great ideas have benefited from his interference.
I wish the new prime minister would make a cell of young technocrats who would ask for new inventions and processes to be sent to them. I want to be on it working with Prof. Gupta.
So here is my wish list:
1. Since no one is going to stop eating meat, I dream of a future in which meat could be grown from stem cells; an ethical and greener source for meat. Scientists suggest in the journal Trends in Biotechnology that every town or village could one day have its very own small-scale, cultured meat factory. No methane emissions either, so you can eat meat and not destroy the rest of the world’s climate.
2. Windmills that work in every house and village. A farmer in West Bengal has invented a windmill for Rs. 5,000 which he uses to draw up water for irrigation. This is in a village that does not have great windpower. He simply uses the normal movement of air. The drawing up of water is slow but the fields have actually benefited from that. We need to take his invention and run with it. We have to get off the electricity grid and a hundred mix and match ideas will be needed to make each village self sufficient.
3. New forms of animal harnesses that do not torture the animal. Today 33% of all yoked oxen die of neck cancer within a few years because of the weight and pressure of the yokes upon their necks.
4. An invention that will turn plastic back into oil. This could turn into a multi-crore business that could supply oil locally for transport and clean up India’s land and rivers which are now clogged with plastic bags. Millions of cows die from eating plastic. Burning it is not an option. I am told someone in Nagpur is working on this.
5. A safe painless way to stop beings from breeding – humans, dogs, monkeys. Perhaps a one time pill.
6. Cars that run on hydrogen gas. Everyone keeps saying they have been invented but where are they? Imagine non-polluting cars. What a wonderful world in which I can breathe again.
I am sure everyone has a list of things they want invented. And many of you have seen small inventions that you wish were taken up by the government publicity and distribution system. Send your ideas to me. Or contact Dr. Vipin Kumar who is a director at the National Innovation Foundation email@example.com
To join the animal welfare movement contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Some Useful Innovations for Rural People
Plant foods do not contain any cholesterol
The Truth About Protein
Mock Meats : The Moral Alternatives
Is China going to eat up the whole world?
Ways to become thinner or fatter
Animal Studies Paint Misleading Picture
Are you alone?
What do you eat when you eat fish
How ANIMALS manage their time—A STUDY
Next time you look into your beloved’s soul, look for the parasites at the gateway...
Medicinal Use of Cow Urine
Influence of Animals on human beings
Cruel Ways of Eating Animals & Birds by Humans II
Cruel Ways of Eating Animals & Birds by Humans I
Are you a Good Samaritan?
How to Check Adulteration in Milk
Stable Environment for healthy fish needed
Fish Lovers- Beware
Role of Bacteria in shaping behavior of genes
A Suitable Cow
Some Tips On Nursing Puppies
Ban Battery cage for chicken
Varieties of Chicken we eat
Slaughter houses and increased crime rates
Breeds of dog in India
Cruelty to animals on the occasion of festivals
Real foods spoil very quickly, fast foods not
The Myth of Swine & Avian Flu in India
Fish eating causes health hazard
Animal sacrifice in Pauri Garhwal area of Uttarakhand
Difference between Veg and Non-veg
Virgin Mary among Lizards
Nature-the most inspiring model for our Ecosystems
Role of denial in eating of Meat
The Technology of Synthetic Milk
Honeybee-the insect for human food chain
Why do dogs bark
Characteristics of varieties of caterpillars
Emotional Complexity of Animals
Meat eating causes diseases
Rat in Hindu mythology
Which animal you are
Man’s alter ego-an Animal
Career in management of welfare of Animals
Profession of Pet grooming
What you Eat When you Eat Processed Meat
How to train a dog to make it useful
The Purpose of Minor Beings in Our Ecosystem
Cruelty to Bears in Pakistan
How Onion Drives Away Viruses
How to save an animal from burn injury
Production of Honey is cruelty to Bee
Meat eating causes Global warming
Hazards of fish factories
Growth of a bird till it flies
Creatures of the world live and help live
Killing a snake brings bad luck
Effects of the startle Reflex on Animals
Awaken Your Soul by Loving Animals
Feeling of grief in Animals
Altruism in Animals
Music Soothes Animals
How Animals recognize their Kins
Animals teach their offspring like human moms
Cruelty to Animals in Slaughter houses
What is the secret to a perfect life and happiness?
How is Ghee being adulterated ?
Difference between a man & an animal
Homosexuality Is Not Against Nature In Animal Kingdom
Programmes for improving Animal Welfare
Promiscuity in mating behaviour of Birds
Uses for slaughtered Animals accelerate killing of Animals
Slingshots & Catapults Destroy Wild Life
Human Intelligibility of Animals
Animal grooming of offspring is worth emulating
Illegal Trade of Killing Cattle
Eating Cattle Meat Causes E Coli Infection
Some tips on making Puppies’ life comfortable
Some tips on keeping kittens clean
Snake skin trade dangerous for eco system
Dog shows are not for dog lovers but for moneymakers and charlatans
Political agenda for Animal welfare needed
How foolish it is to kill Sea creatures for Ornaments
Infectious diseases from Animals to Humans
How pitiable is Rabbit farming?
Remedies for Animal ailments
Infected Pig Meat Risks Your Life
Animals spread dangerous Ebola virus to humans
Animals Have More Sense
Municipal Policy on hazards of pet shops
Mutualism makes Species of the nature flourish
Adoption Fair for Puppies
How Animals behave in packs
Why People prefer dogs and cats to human beings
Positive effects of spaying and neutering on pets
Mammals & Birds cry like human beings
Biomemetics Provides solution to human problems
Chinese food products- the greatest killer
Pets make better partners than humans
How harmful is the Packaged Meat
Stop Slaughter of Cows for Bone Trade
How cruel it is to dump pet animals ? view comments...
Don’t hurt animals on festive occasions
Let the earth beings survive
Glues are made of animal remains
Meat increases risk of cancer
Birds provide springboard to song composers
Is it not an act of Cannibalism?
How many animals do you have to eat before you become man ?
To eat or not to eat Meat
Insulin from Animals
Is It Healthy Decision to Promote Rat Eating in Bihar
Use of Animal bones in Porcelain
Infection of Tick disease in Dogs and its cure
Vegetarian diet is the best diet for human beings
Non-Veg Diet causes Dementia
Excuses for being non-vegetarians
Body odour of Non-vegetarians
MEAT threatens Planet’s Survival
Am I smarter than you ? Yes, if you are a meat eater.
Need to orient educational system to deal with animals
How to Avoid Cruelty to Gold Fish?
How To Make Everyday An Animal day
Are Eggs Vegetarian?
Are You One of these People ?
Use of Animal Fats in Cosmetics Industries
Killing of endangered Species for Perfume Industries
Missionary Campaign to Control Cruelty to Animals- needed
Drink Milk, Get Sick
Parents Create Monsters
The Business of Murder:Factory Farming and the Meat Industry in India
Effect of landscaping of birds on environment
Dangers of killing deep Sea-Sharks for Cosmetic Products
Use of dog in diagnosis of diseases
Sacred Nature of Neelkanth
Cruelty to Polo Ponies comments...
Self-Regulation of Population by Animals
Dangers of Animal meat eating
Arsenic poison in chicken feed
Cruelty to Animals by Govt. Vets
Worship of God with Blood and Suffering of Animals and Birds
Consequences of Chloramphenicol in Shrimp Industry
Hazards of Trade in Peacocks’ Feather
Supreme Court Ban on cruelty to Animals
Are you a Bad Pet Owner?
The Goat That Laughed and Wept
Animal Owners’ personality traits resemble their Pets’
Human Propensities of Goat
sacrifice at the altar of religion
as foster parent
feed from rendering plant
Intelligence of Birds
Human Propensities of Cow