(Bihar Times) Let’s list a few based on dead insects, animal slime, vomit and faeces.
1. Many sweets, jelly beans, and chocolate products are coated in something called confectioner's glaze. Confectioner's glaze comes from the Lac bug, Laccifer lacca, a scale insect which lives as a parasite on plants, particularly banyan trees. The Lac bug is used to create a waxy, waterproof coating, called shellac, for shine on furniture and food, waxes, adhesives, paints, cosmetics, varnishes, fertilizers, medicine pills coatings and confectionery. Look for any of the following ingredients on labels to find the hidden Lac bugs in your food: candy glaze, resin glaze, natural food glaze, confectioner's glaze, confectioner's resin, Lac resin, Lacca, or gum lac.
2. Every country has come to terms with the fact that they cannot take out animals from food. So the Indian government has mandated that rat faeces are allowed in wheat and rice. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is the body overseeing the protection of public health by insuring the safety of food. However, giving food companies a strange loophole to protect themselves, the FDA permits a certain degree of insects, such as worms or aphids, so long as their presence doesn't compromise the “aesthetic” quality of the food – the look! The FDA has a Defects Level Handbook which allows insect fragments, rat hair and faeces “legally” – which means you cannot sue the manufacturers of various foods, should you find insects in your food. Staples like broccoli, canned tomatoes, and hops readily contain “insect fragments”—heads, thoraxes, and legs—and even whole insects. Fig paste can harbour up to 13 insect heads in 100 grams; canned fruit juices can contain a maggot for every 250 millilitres; 10 grams of hops can be the home for 2,500 aphids . Writers at the Scientific American estimate that “an individual probably ingests about one to two pounds of flies, maggots and other bugs each year without even knowing it.” For spinach, the action limit is 50 or more aphids, thrips and/or mites per 100 grams. Beer should be reclassified as Bug Beer. The FDA’s limit on the hops that go into the tank is 2,500 aphids per 10 grams of hops. 5% of the total weight of the hops making your beer can be insects. 100 kilos of chocolate allows one kilo of insects and 100 kilos of bread can have 1.5 kilos of insect. Ten insects and 35 fruit fly eggs per 8 oz. of raisins is allowed and four rodent hairs per 100 grams in wheat, curry powder, allspice, and ground pepper. The number of whole aphids that the FDA deems permissible varies from vegetable to vegetable. 30 whole aphids/100 grams in Brussels sprouts and about 60 in frozen broccoli is permissible. 50 Corn lice or thrips are allowed in every 100 grams of canned or frozen spinach or in a package of frozen cabbage / sauerkraut. 75 white mites and 20 maggots for 100 gms of canned mushrooms. 5 fruit flies in canned fruit juice. 5 brown weevil larva in every can of peas or lobia (blackeyed peas). 10% of coffee beans are allowed to be infested with insects.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has its own way of grading food with insects in it. For cabbage, 10 aphids on a head can still equal a no.1 grading during inspection, but any presence of worms on the head (not the leaves) brings the vegetable down to a no.2 grading – still permissible to be sold but cheaper.
The Jains have been campaigning for years that tapioca (sabudana) should be banned because it has thousands of dead insects in it.
3. Rennet is a group of enzymes found in calves to digest their mothers’ milk. It is a crucial part of making commercial cheese. Rennet for cheese making is obtained by slicing up a calf's stomach, soaking it in whey and wine or vinegar, and then filtering it. Unless it says specifically on the label that rennet has not been used, you can be sure that your branded cheese has calf enzymes in it.
4. Castoreum, a common additive, is made from beaver anal glands. Castoreum is an anal secretion beavers use to mark their territories. It smells like vanilla. Castoreum (CAS NO. 8023-83-4; FEMA NO. 2261) is an extract that is used in baked goods, especially as vanilla flavouring. The beaver is killed and the anal sacs cut off and dried in alcohol and macerated. It has been used extensively in perfumery and has been added to food as a flavour ingredient for at least 80 years and labelled as “natural flavouring”. The raw form is described as "birch tar or Russian leather."
Fernelli's Handbook Of Flavor Ingredients puts individual annual consumption of castoreum extract at .000081 mg/kg/day, in products like frozen dairy, gelatines, puddings, and non-alcoholic beverages. Castoreum extract can be used to enhance raspberry or strawberry flavourings.
5. All commercial biscuits and breads contain an amino acid, called L Cysteine, which is made from boiled and filtered human hair and duck feathers. All the hair cut from devotee heads and sold by the Tiirupati Temple Trust goes to L Cysteine manufacturers.
6. Carmine is the red pigment that is used for any cosmetics, food or drink that is red/pink in colour. 70,000 scale insects called cochineal bugs, which suck the sap from cactus, are killed, dried and crushed and used in cosmetics, wines, camparis, shampoos, sauces, sweets and food colouring for everything from sausages and crabs to pink pastries, yogurts and juices. Recently, Starbucks admitted to using the dye in their drinks. To find out if a product contains cochineal bugs, look for any of the following ingredients on the label: cochineal extract, cochineal, carmine, carminic acid, E 120 or Natural Red No. 4.10. Fish bladders are used to clarify wines, beers and food. Millions of fish are killed daily just for their bladders and these are called Isinglass.
I haven’t even started on the bee products: honey made from bee vomit for instance. Or the industrial chemicals that dye food from fish to salad dressing. Next week I will tell you about the disgusting things in your cosmetics.
To join the animal welfare movement contact email@example.com
How many disgusting things do you eat in your food that you are not aware of?
Eradication of mosquitoes cannot be done without destroying the world
Plastic Microbeads Now In Food Chain
Hazards of toxic food for Animals
How to make Pesticides at Home
Natural Mosquito Repellents
Plight of aquarium fish
Eat Vegetarian diet to live longer
Some Useful Innovations for Rural People
Plant foods do not contain any cholesterol
The Truth About Protein
Mock Meats : The Moral Alternatives
Is China going to eat up the whole world?
Ways to become thinner or fatter
Animal Studies Paint Misleading Picture
Are you alone?
What do you eat when you eat fish
How ANIMALS manage their time—A STUDY
Next time you look into your beloved’s soul, look for the parasites at the gateway...
Medicinal Use of Cow Urine
Influence of Animals on human beings
Cruel Ways of Eating Animals & Birds by Humans II
Cruel Ways of Eating Animals & Birds by Humans I
Are you a Good Samaritan?
How to Check Adulteration in Milk
Stable Environment for healthy fish needed
Fish Lovers- Beware
Role of Bacteria in shaping behavior of genes
A Suitable Cow
Some Tips On Nursing Puppies
Ban Battery cage for chicken
Varieties of Chicken we eat
Slaughter houses and increased crime rates
Breeds of dog in India
Cruelty to animals on the occasion of festivals
Real foods spoil very quickly, fast foods not
The Myth of Swine & Avian Flu in India
Fish eating causes health hazard
Animal sacrifice in Pauri Garhwal area of Uttarakhand
Difference between Veg and Non-veg
Virgin Mary among Lizards
Nature-the most inspiring model for our Ecosystems
Role of denial in eating of Meat
The Technology of Synthetic Milk
Honeybee-the insect for human food chain
Why do dogs bark
Characteristics of varieties of caterpillars
Emotional Complexity of Animals
Meat eating causes diseases
Rat in Hindu mythology
Which animal you are
Man’s alter ego-an Animal
Career in management of welfare of Animals
Profession of Pet grooming
What you Eat When you Eat Processed Meat
How to train a dog to make it useful
The Purpose of Minor Beings in Our Ecosystem
Cruelty to Bears in Pakistan
How Onion Drives Away Viruses
How to save an animal from burn injury
Production of Honey is cruelty to Bee
Meat eating causes Global warming
Hazards of fish factories
Growth of a bird till it flies
Creatures of the world live and help live
Killing a snake brings bad luck
Effects of the startle Reflex on Animals
Awaken Your Soul by Loving Animals
Feeling of grief in Animals
Altruism in Animals
Music Soothes Animals
How Animals recognize their Kins
Animals teach their offspring like human moms
Cruelty to Animals in Slaughter houses
What is the secret to a perfect life and happiness?
How is Ghee being adulterated ?
Difference between a man & an animal
Homosexuality Is Not Against Nature In Animal Kingdom
Programmes for improving Animal Welfare
Promiscuity in mating behaviour of Birds
Uses for slaughtered Animals accelerate killing of Animals
Slingshots & Catapults Destroy Wild Life
Human Intelligibility of Animals
Animal grooming of offspring is worth emulating
Illegal Trade of Killing Cattle
Eating Cattle Meat Causes E Coli Infection
Some tips on making Puppies’ life comfortable
Some tips on keeping kittens clean
Snake skin trade dangerous for eco system
Dog shows are not for dog lovers but for moneymakers and charlatans
Political agenda for Animal welfare needed
How foolish it is to kill Sea creatures for Ornaments
Infectious diseases from Animals to Humans
How pitiable is Rabbit farming?
Remedies for Animal ailments
Infected Pig Meat Risks Your Life
Animals spread dangerous Ebola virus to humans
Animals Have More Sense
Municipal Policy on hazards of pet shops
Mutualism makes Species of the nature flourish
Adoption Fair for Puppies
How Animals behave in packs
Why People prefer dogs and cats to human beings
Positive effects of spaying and neutering on pets
Mammals & Birds cry like human beings
Biomemetics Provides solution to human problems
Chinese food products- the greatest killer
Pets make better partners than humans
How harmful is the Packaged Meat
Stop Slaughter of Cows for Bone Trade
How cruel it is to dump pet animals ? view comments...
Don’t hurt animals on festive occasions
Let the earth beings survive
Glues are made of animal remains
Meat increases risk of cancer
Birds provide springboard to song composers
Is it not an act of Cannibalism?
How many animals do you have to eat before you become man ?
To eat or not to eat Meat
Insulin from Animals
Is It Healthy Decision to Promote Rat Eating in Bihar
Use of Animal bones in Porcelain
Infection of Tick disease in Dogs and its cure
Vegetarian diet is the best diet for human beings
Non-Veg Diet causes Dementia
Excuses for being non-vegetarians
Body odour of Non-vegetarians
MEAT threatens Planet’s Survival
Am I smarter than you ? Yes, if you are a meat eater.
Need to orient educational system to deal with animals
How to Avoid Cruelty to Gold Fish?
How To Make Everyday An Animal day
Are Eggs Vegetarian?
Are You One of these People ?
Use of Animal Fats in Cosmetics Industries
Killing of endangered Species for Perfume Industries
Missionary Campaign to Control Cruelty to Animals- needed
Drink Milk, Get Sick
Parents Create Monsters
The Business of Murder:Factory Farming and the Meat Industry in India
Effect of landscaping of birds on environment
Dangers of killing deep Sea-Sharks for Cosmetic Products
Use of dog in diagnosis of diseases
Sacred Nature of Neelkanth
Cruelty to Polo Ponies comments...
Self-Regulation of Population by Animals
Dangers of Animal meat eating
Arsenic poison in chicken feed
Cruelty to Animals by Govt. Vets
Worship of God with Blood and Suffering of Animals and Birds
Consequences of Chloramphenicol in Shrimp Industry
Hazards of Trade in Peacocks’ Feather
Supreme Court Ban on cruelty to Animals
Are you a Bad Pet Owner?
The Goat That Laughed and Wept
Animal Owners’ personality traits resemble their Pets’
Human Propensities of Goat
sacrifice at the altar of religion
as foster parent
feed from rendering plant
Intelligence of Birds
Human Propensities of Cow